Posted by Kimberly Peterson on Sep 17th 2018
Victory Over Stinky Pits
There are more than 1,000 bacteria species on your skin. Body odor happens when these bacteria break down proteins in your sweat. Some say it's a result of bacteria on the body, but it's actually the result of bacteria breaking down proteins into certain acids.
According to Vanderbilt University research, your body excretes water to dispose of urea, a substance formed in protein breakdown. If you consume high amounts of protein, your body will excrete more water than usual, which can result in excess sweating (and more odor!) People who reguarly eat spicy foods and individuals with certain medical conditions are more susceptible to having body odor as well. Another great reason to go Vegan (plant based diet).
Infrequent showering causes bacteria to build up on your skin, so showering once a day might not be enough. Wash in the morning and before you go to bed if your armpits are resistant to deodorant. While it may seem like a good idea to use those anti-bacterial soaps on the market, antibacterial soaps kill both odor-causing and odor-fighting bacteria. Without enough good bacteria, bad bacteria multiply and cause your armpits to smell. Switching to a natural routine can help alleviate this problem, including charcoal and/or tea tree based body soaps.
ANTI-PERSPIRANTS - What's the big deal?
Aluminum is the active ingredient in antiperspirant that keeps you dry – it plugs the sweat ducts under your arms, so the sweat simply can’t come out - which sounds great in theory. But sweating is your body’s way of naturally eliminating toxins so, by plugging your sweat ducts, the aluminum is essentially forcing your body to reabsorb these toxins. Additionally, your body could potentially be absorbing this aluminum and some studies suggest that exposure to aluminum in deodorants may be contributing to an increased risk of Alzheimer’s disease or cancer. More research needs to be done on the effects of aluminum absorption on the body, but why risk it?
MAGNESIUM TO THE RESCUE
Now that we've gotten past the science behind stinky pits and created some potential doubt about anti-perspirants, let's look at how magnesium works to control odor and wetness.
Magnesium is an abundant mineral found in the earth's crust and has been used since 1872 under the Milk of Magnesium label (as a laxative). But, by some weird twist of fate, it’s also quite popular as a natural deodorant alternative. First of all, magnesium is a must-have mineral and contains a ton of different beneficial nutrients that you definitely want the pores of your skin eating up. Its ability to soak up bad smells is unquestionable, and that may be due in part to it's pH. The alkaline nature of magnesium helps to neutralize acids that occur during the bacterial breakdown into acids when you sweat. Large amounts of magnesium in combination with organic potato starch in Bare Naked Botanicals' deodorants absorb wetness, keeping you dry AND stink free. Additionally, there are an abundant number of reasons to incorporate magnesium into your diet and skin care routine. It's especially recommended for people sensitive to baking soda based deodorants that frequently cause a rash, itching or redness.
- Helps Increase Energy- Magnesium is an essential mineral for regulating energy levels. Specifically, the mineral is used to activate adenosine triphosphate (ATP) which is what helps keep your body moving.
- Calms Nerves- Magnesium is vital for BAGA function, a neurotransmitter that produces “happy hormones” such as serotonin. Magnesium also regulates hormones that are crucial for promoting relaxation and calming the brain.
- Improves Digestion- For those suffering from constipation, magnesium helps neutralize stomach acid and relax muscles within the digestive tract to help move stool through the intestines.
- Relieves Muscle Aches & Spasms- When your body doesn’t have enough magnesium, your muscles can ache or even spasm. This is because magnesium plays an important role in neuromuscular signals and muscle contractions.
- Heart Health- The heart has the highest amount of magnesium in your body. Together magnesium works with calcium to regulate blood pressure levels and prevent hypertension.
MAGNESIUM DEODORANT FOR A HEALTHIER LIFETYLE
If you are looking to live a healthier life, ditch your current deodorant and try Bare Naked Botanicals' magnesium rich deodorants. Making the switch does not have to be a scary process. Unlike other natural deodorants, our formula does not require any extra hoops or “detoxing.” Simply apply and enjoy a healthier, odor-free day! If you have any questions about our products or making the switch we are more than happy to help! Simply fill out our contact form to get the conversation started.